Monday, November 06, 2006

The Picture of Dorian Gray

I almost wrote The Portrait of Dorian Gray. Di ko alam kung bakit ako portrait ng portrait. In my head (san ka pa ba nagrarationalize?), I rationalize that it's the same: picture = portrait. However, according to my 4th year high school teacher, Miss Labay, it's important to write the complete and correct titles of books, movies, etc. down to the articles. I remember a quiz in which a lot of my classmates got The Chaser and Catcher in the Rye wrong kasi mali yung mga articles nila. nyork nyork nyork wahahahahhaha mwaahahhahahahahahahahaha

Okay I'm blabbering.

I'm stuck in this job I've been trying to run. Lumalabas naman yung account na hinahanap ko pero di lumalabas yung gusto kong record, so mali pa rin. Marami na akong edits na ginawa, all 4 hours and more but to no avail... Grrr >= so nagsusulat na lang ako now habang tinitingnan ng 'mentor' ko yung job.

This book was my travel buddy. Di ko lang natapos kasi pinipilit ko matulog. Di ko pa rin tapos actually. It's a recommendation from my BFF Ribs (best friends forever wahahahahaha yech) matagal na matagal na panahon na. Nabili ko rin itong book na ito matagal na matagal na panahon na pero ngunit subalit datapwat ngayon ko lang binabasa. So yun, plus, curiosity getting the best of me -- kasi 1) I need to know who Dorian Gray was at malaman ang story behind one of the characters in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; and, 2) it's about time I read Oscar Wilde -- kaya ito, binabasa ko sya, katabi ko matulog.

(Dahil di naman ako marunong gumawa ng reviews at sabi nga sa Preface ng libro, there are no moral or immoral books only badly written ones, or something to that effect), ito yung mga passages that I responded to dun sa book (ika nga, naantig ang damdamin ko... chenes!):

*** Top 3

3. Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things[sic] one never regrets are one's mistakes.

2. There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.

1. There is always something ridiculous about the emotions of people whom one has ceased to love. ---> winner!

*** Other memorable passages:

Oo nga naman: There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

O Tukso, Lapitan mo ako: The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

Dahil di ako shallow: To me, beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances.

Psych war: I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.

Vain with a sense of humor: It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But . . . it is better to be good than to be ugly.

Having one's cake and eating it, too: To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

Putulan!!!: Those who are faithful know only the pleasures of love: it is the faithless who know love's tragedies.

Good answer, good answer: A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?

No comments: